If you’re like me, you’ve probably been holding off buying an eReader because the technology is evolving so quickly that, as fast as you pick the one you want, another is released with even more features than the current ones, and you’re afraid of being “stuck” with old technology the minute you open the box.
Not so with the newest Amazon Kindle 3G Wireless Reader. Granted, Kindle’s not a full color reader. But, how many of your books are actually in color? I don’t know about you, but most of my reading material doesn’t feature color pictures! In fact, pictures are usually a distraction from losing myself in the storyline…. And that is the biggest feature of the Kindle. I can still lose myself in the story, just like I do with a real book. In fact, the newest Kindle actually features a new, high-contrast E Ink screen that looks even more like a page from a book, and there’s no backlighting to distract me or make me feel like I’m reading a computer screen.
Here are the best display features of the Amazon Kindle:
- 50% better contrast with the all new, high contrast E Ink screen
- New crisp, darker fonts make reading more enjoyable than ever
- No glare, even in the brightest sunlight
I also love the fact that my books are really “portable” now! I can either take my Kindle with me, or I can read my book (without losing my place) on my laptop, or my desktop computer, or my phone…wherever I happen to be. And, speaking of taking my Kindle with me, the Kindle 3 has been redesigned, so while the screen is still a full 6”, the Kindle itself is a sleek 21% smaller, only 1/3 of an inch thick, and weighs only about ½ a pound (less than a paperback!).
I can even download new books wherever and whenever I want, because the Kindle connects via 3G wireless or any WiFi connection, without that annoying “data plan” that I would have had to buy with an iPad or similar tablet computer. (I don’t know about you, but my wireless bill is already high enough, without adding yet another monthly charge – thankfully, the Kindle connection is free.)
- Download books from the Kindle store anytime, anywhere
- Unlike other models, and even table computers, Kindle’s 3 wireless is free, so there are no monthly payments or annual contracts required (and no hidden fees)
- In addition to the 3G wireless, you can connect to any Wi-Fi network, in your home, at coffee shops, wherever!
- With the free Global 3G coverage, you can travel the globe and still get books in under 60 seconds with wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories.
Another thing I really like, and this is almost embarrassing to admit, is the fact that I actually have a library of all the books that I’ve read on my Kindle, so I don’t forget and buy a book that I’ve already read (if you’re an avid reader, you’ll definitely understand this one). In fact, the Kindle will actually hold more books than I’ll be able to read in my lifetime. Here are some other interesting features about the library that I like:
- Store up to 3,500 books on your Kindle (more than most people can read in a lifetime)
- Amazon has enhanced the PDF Reader with a built in dictionary lookup, notes, and highlights
- Amazon automatically backs up books you purchase from the Kindle Store in your personal Kindle library on Amazon, so, you can upgrade your device someday, and download your books wirelessly for free, anytime.
- With Amazon’s Text-to-Speech technology, your Kindle can read English-language content out loud to you.
I can even surf the internet using the built in browser, share things via Twitter and Facebook, and listen to music…all on my Kindle.
So, am I still worried about the latest and greatest device? No. I bought my Amazon Kindle to read books…all the other features on my Kindle are just the icing on the cake!