ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Review
ASUS is one of the most respected names in the business when it comes to hardware…and their tablet, the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer does not disappoint. With all of the fuss about the iPad, the Motorola Xoom, the Galaxy, and all the rest, you’d think there wouldn’t be much that someone else hadn’t already done. But, that’s just not the case, here. ASUS has added innovation to the market…and the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer is worth every penny of the already reasonable price you’ll pay for it!
While the technical details on this baby are what it’s all about, even those of us who might be a little more technologically challenged can appreciate:
- 10.1″ WSVGA (1280×800) IPS Capacitive LED Touchscreen – this gives you a nice, large crystal clear display that will display your ebooks, your photos, and even let you surf the web without having to squint at the screen!
- Android 3.0 Honeycomb Operating System – since it’s running the latest and greatest version of Android’s Honeycomb Operating System, the ASUS tablet is ahead of the curve on features.
- NVIDIA Tegra 2 CPU - surf the web up to two times faster, with hardware accelerated Flash, and console-quality gaming…all at your fingertips
- 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM, 1 slot, 1GB Max, 16GB Internal Flash Memory – plenty of onboard memory and the ability to add more ensures that your ASUS tablet will enable you to run the latest and greatest apps for years to come
- Wireless 802.11bgn – true WIFI connectivity, although there is no 3G connectivity. (Interestingly enough, most people who purchase tablets don’t really end up needing the 3G connectivity as much as they imagine.)
- Bluetooth 2.1
- Mini HDMI Port
- Micro SD Card Slot
- 1.2MP (front) and 5.0MP (rear) Webcam – given recent updates in popular social media, like Facebook and Google+, a Webcam is an absolute must on any computer. Your ASUS tablet will manage video chat like a pro…and you’ll love the crisp, clear pictures, too.
- Gravity Sensor
- Light Sensor
- 24.4W/h Lithium Polymer Battery (Up to 9.5 Hours Battery Life) – For a full fledged tablet computer, this is an excellent battery life. Many tablets only last two to four hours.
- 40-Pin Docking Port for Optional Keyboard (Keyboard Not included)/Docking Station (Model Name: TF101 DOCKING) – undoubtedly, this is THE feature that sets this tablet apart from all the others. With the addition of an optional keyboard, this will literally convert your tablet into a laptop style computer, complete with a QWERTY keyboard.
- Computing in the cloud- ASUS’ Waveshare Interface hosts a variety of unique applications that allow you to easily launch software, manage your content, access online services and connect devices with a few simple taps of your fingertips:
- MyNet - Easily stream digital media wirelessly within other home network devices using your Eee pad Transformer. Play HD videos or music on your home network devices, such as your HDTV monitor, or your desktop PC.
- MyLibrary – Consolidate all your downloaded books, magazines and newspapers in to one easy to browse profile.
- MyCloud – MyCloud is your total cloud solution, providing access to digital content such as music, videos and files from the cloud anywhere, anytime. You can even use MyCloud to remotely access and control your PC or Mac system, and access applications or files.
All this, in a slim, attractive 10.7 x 7 x 0.5 inch case that weighs about a pound and a half! And, if you’ve ever dealt with ASUS before, you know that they provide one of the best warranties in the business (1 full year), 24/7 service, and free one way shipping.
What kind of reviews is the ASUS Eee Pad getting?
First of all, we found far more positive reviews than negative! Overall, most people seemed to report that they were very pleased with the ASUS tablet, and reported specifics such as the following:
- People reported repeatedly that the screen resolution is excellent. They also love the size of the screen, viewing angles, the responsiveness of the touch screen features, and the color saturation.
- People love the remote desktop feature – you can not only access, but you can actually use your home (or work) computer from anywhere using your ASUS tablet.
- Many who purchased the ASUS Eee Pad also own Kindles and report the seamless installation and transfer of ebooks to and from the Kindle.
- Lots of people were pleased that, unlike many other tablets, the ASUS has flash capabilities, and you can use it to access YouTube.
- When compared to the iPad, the majority of users reported that they prefer the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer over the iPad.
Did we find any problems with the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer? Now, we’re not going to lie…there were a couple of users who did experience problems at first.
- One user reported a keyboard to screen lag, which was also reported as easily resolved with the first software update on the machine.
- A couple of people were frustrated with support when they were unable to connect to their home networks…but to be honest, anytime that I have to call tech support for any new toy, I’m frustrated and expect them to fix the problem for me (regardless of whether it is a device issue or an issue with the setup of my home network). ASUS is known for providing high quality service for all of their products, so I would highly recommend taking these reports with a grain of salt.
- There have been reports of the plastic in some units cracking down the back side. In every instance that we noted, it was also noted that it was promptly replaced. This could be a minor flaw in the design, or it could be a user issue, as people tend to carry their tablet computers around, sit/lie while reading them, and drop them onto the nearest table when not in use.
- Some backlight bleed has been sporadically reported, but again, in the few instances this was reported, ASUS promptly replaced the entire unit.
Want to read more reviews? We highly recommend reading the reviews on Amazon.com (here) for even more information. Overall, the majority of the reviews were overwhelmingly positive.
Now…the one thing that we haven’t really touched on is price… and this is the best part. The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet Computer is running in the upper three hundred dollar range right now, but the price continues to drop as more tablets begin to saturate the market, and even Amazon.com, who currently has the lowest price, even has the unit on a “check current price” status.